Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Slow Cooker Chicken & Pepper Saute with Goat Cheese

How is your week going? So far, mine has not been too shabby. Yesterday, I was fortunate to have the day off in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. That provided time to get my hair cut and colored, finish cleaning my house, and prepping some things I did not get done on Sunday while this lovely gem of a meal cooked away in my slow cooker. Today, I managed to get my biscuits out of bed and squeeze in a little HIIT workout before work. Then, I came home, took this lovely photo, squeezed in another quick workout with my arms and abs, and now I'm blogging with you. I know you were maybe a little worried that I might not come back again after my last few attempts to get back to blogging; but, here I am. It is all about small, achievable steps. Now let's talk about dinner shall we?


This meal is light, lean, and a majority of it can simmer away in your slow cooker while you multitask your day until your heart's content. To round out the rest of the meal, I steamed some green beans and made a batch of cauliflower puree. Cauliflower puree is an awesome alternative to mashed potatoes. I simply steam 1 bag of frozen cauliflower in low sodium chicken broth until softened. Drain the chicken broth and place the cauliflower in a food processor. I had a dollop of light sour cream and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, give it a whirl until it is all creamy and smooth. Finish with a dash of salt and pepper and that's it! Served along side this chicken dish and you've got a five start weeknight meal!

Slow Cooker Chicken and Pepper Saute with Goat Cheese
Serves 4

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 cup yellow or white onion, thinly sliced
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with garlic, drained
1/2 cup roasted red pepper, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 oz. crumbled goat cheese

Place the chicken, onion, diced tomatoes, red pepper, herbs, salt, and pepper into your slow cooker. Cover and set on low for 4 to 6 hours. Sprinkle the goat cheese over the chicken before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment