Thursday, April 17, 2014

GF Meatball Subs

I actually made a very similar recipe about two years ago this exact same time of year. Sometimes you just need a repeat right? This time, however, I took some major short cuts.


Above is the original picture I took almost two years ago. At this point in my blogging career, I think my skills had sharpened significantly. 2012 was my breakthrough blogging year. I had been gluten-free for one year at that point. It is really hard to believe that I've been gluten-free for 3.2 years now. Time really flies!

I'm going to go ahead and suggest the original Slow Cooker Meatballs in Marinara recipe; however here are my suggested shortcuts for this go-around. For starters, I did not use my slow cooker this time. I used the microwave. Second, I used pre-made meatballs instead of making my own. I used chicken, but beef, turkey, or whatever will be fine. If you are gluten-free you already know you will want to read ingredients to make sure there is no gluten if you choose to go this route. I also did not make my own sauce this time either. I used stuff straight out of the jar. Ragu to be exact. Ragu recently took a liking to my blog this winter and has given me a little publicity, so I thought I'd give a shout out. Below you will find my shortcut version.

GF Meatball Subs 

1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 package frozen meatballs
4 slices 2% provolone cheese
4 gluten-free submarine rolls (I use Shar brand. If you are not GF, any regular sub roll will do)

Preheat your oven to the low broiler setting. Place the spaghetti sauce and meatballs in a  large, microwavable safe dish. Cover and heat in the microwave for 5 minutes or until the meatballs are no longer frozen and are cooked through. Remove from the microwave. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil. If you are using foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cut the submarine rolls in half or split down the middle. Top the bread with the meatballs, sauce, and cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt and bubble. You will want to keep an eye on things when using the broiler as things can burn very quickly. Remove from the oven and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment