Friday, April 11, 2014

Back at it Menu Post

I am so excited that my work schedule will be returning somewhat back to normal next week. When you teach in Kansas, spring means assessment season. These tests are grueling for kids and teachers. You just want them to do their best, but after two weeks their stamina and patience starts to dwindle. I know that if I've been coming home completely drained, this kids are over it too. I am looking forward to getting back to a regular schedule and teaching.

This week's menu is full of some new recipes I've been wanting to try or catch up on from previous menus. Sunday I will be finally giving you the recipe for the delicious cranberry-jalapeno mayo I made a few weeks ago from my spring break travels. Monday, the temps are supposed to dip back into the 40s so soup season is not over! I plan to make a uniquely spiced Chickpea, Rice, & Tomato soup with a side of chopped salad and garlic toast. Midweek, I will be getting some help from some already prepared chicken meatballs for some Meatball Subs. Finally, as the temperatures swing back into the 60s we will be out on the patio grilling up some steaks for some Steak Tacos. It will be a great week of eats. Here is the rundown:

Sun. 4/13 Chicken Burgers w/ Cranberry-JalapeƱo Mayo & Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Mon. 4/14 Chickpea & Rice Tomato Soup w/ Garlic Bread & Chopped Salad

Tues. 4/15 Leftovers

Wed. 4/16 Chicken Meatball Subs w/ Zucchini Fries

Thurs. 4/17 Leftovers

Fri. 4/18 Steak Tacos w/ Salsa, Black Beans, & Cilantro Slaw

Here is what you will need to make this all happen:

2-4 lean cuts of steak
1 lb. ground chicken or already prepared chicken burgers (I discovered WW)
1 package chicken meatballs (I got mine at Costco, but if you cannot find any pre-made meatballs, you can purchase more ground chicken and make your own)
1 package center cut bacon
2 jalapeƱos
2-4 sweet potatoes (depending on size)
2-4 zucchini (depending on size)
2 limes
1 avocado
1 bunch green onions
Carrots
Celery
2 yellow or white onions
1 bulb garlic
1 bunch cilantro
1 head romaine lettuce
1 bag chopped salad mix
1 bag shredded cabbage or cole slaw mix
1 bag dried cranberries (such as Craisens)
1 container light mayo (I am loving Hellman's right now)
1 can tomato paste
1 can fire roasted tomatoes, salsa style
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can chickpeas
1 can black beans
1 box chicken broth (about 6 cups worth)
1 box instant brown rice
1 package corn tortillas
1 container grated Parmesan cheese
1 package gluten-free ciabatta rolls
Eggs or liquid egg whites
1 quart lowfat buttermilk
1 container light or fat-free sour cream
1 container light butter (I am loving Land O Lakes right now)
1 package sliced 2% Swiss or provolone cheese

Pantry you will need include:
Nonstick cooking spray
Extra virgin olive oil
Apple cider vinegar
Dijon mustard
Ground cumin
Ground coriander
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Graham masala
Taco seasoning
Salt
Pepper

Have a great weekend! I look forward to sharing throughout the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment