Tuesday, March 4, 2014

My Veggie Chili

Who does not love a warm bowl of chili on a cold winter day? Being there are probably over a million different variations- white chili, chili verde, turkey chili, chili with beans, chili without beans, to just name a few, it is hard not to find a recipe you might love. Everyone has their own way of making chili too. It is just what makes this dish special.

I've been playing around with quite a few recipes this winter. I haven't toyed with white or chicken chili just yet, but plan to soon. Most of the experimenting I've done has been using ground turkey and lean ground beef. Then, I thought maybe I should try a vegetarian version just for fun.


I think this simple veggie chili is the best thus far. I've now made this exact recipe twice. The first time, I made it just for my weekday lunches. Then, I thought if I've been enjoying it this much why not see if the Bear might like it too. It was a hit! There are no funky ingredients in this chili. Just some of your straight up chili making ingredients with a little sweet corn and love. What more do you need to share with your family than a healthy chili made with lots of love?

My Veggie Chili

Nonstick cooking spray
1 yellow or white onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup carrot, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 28 oz. can tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz. can diced chili ready tomatoes
1 14.5 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 14.5 oz. can chili beans in gravy, undrained
1 cup frozen sweet corn
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion, green bell pepper, celery, carrot, and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover, and lower the heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes so all of the flavors marry together. You could also continue cooking the soup in your slow cooker on low until you are ready to serve or plan on making this for a gathering. Top with any of your favorite chili toppers. Store leftovers in the freezer or fridge. It is even better the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment