Sunday, March 31, 2013

Celebrate Spring Menu Post

Happy spring celebrations! Whichever holiday you celebrate it is a time for thanks and hope for warmer weather and rebirth. I also would like to celebrate making the 20,000 page view mark. Thanks to everyone who stops by my blog. Whether you comment, re-pin, or just stop by, I thank you dear readers! This blog brings me so much happiness and a hobby for which I am blessed and thankful. My heart is so full!

One of the joys of spring, you never know what kind of weather you are going to get. Today in Kansas City, it is sunny and gorgeous. Tomorrow not so much. Keeping my challenge, ease of putting everything together so my blood pressure stays in check, and the weather, I've come up with this lovely little post. Casserole season is just about over, but for tomorrow's meal I've created a Mediterranean twist on meatloaf served with a side of lightened up cauliflower mashers and green beans. I guess you could call it a fancy blue plate special. The spring beauty of it all? It is easy to put together and is chuck full of hidden vegetables that you don't need to let your family know about. Next on the agenda, as the temperature rises I hope to have an easy sandwich wrap night spoofed up with a little French brie. Then to wrap up the work week in hopes that we can get grilling we are planning to grill or smoke some turkey breast served with a side of grilled potato veggie packets. I know many of you will probably not be able to make it to the grocery store today due to many stores being closed in honor of Easter, but keep this post in your back pocket. I will post how I prepped for everything ahead of time to get a head start on my work week. Here is the rundown:

Sunday 3/31          Citrus Brined Pork Chops with Roasted Apples, Sweet Potato, & Fennel

Monday 4/1           Mediterranean Meatloaf with Green Beans & Lightened Up Cauliflower Smashers

Tuesday 4/2           Leftovers

Wednesday 4/3      Turkey Brie Wraps with Broccoli & Sweet Potato Fries

Thursday 4/4          Leftovers

Friday 4/5 or          Smoked or Grilled Turkey Breast with Potato Pepper Packets
Saturday 4/6

Here is what you will need:

2-4 boneless pork chops
1 bone in turkey breast
1 lb. ground chicken
1 package deli turkey meat
1 granny smith apple
1 orange
3 yellow onions (one for the brine, 2 for other recipes)
1 bulb garlic
2 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
1 red pepper
1 bulb fennel
3 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 box mushrooms
1 bag gluten-free wraps such as Sandwich Petals or 1 bag whole wheat tortillas
1 jar raspberry preserves
1 bottle Dijon mustard (if you do not have any)
1 container grated Parmesan cheese (if you do not have any)
1 quart or 1/2 quart low fat or skim milk
Butter
1 bag frozen cauliflower florets
1 bag frozen broccoli florets
1 bag frozen shelled edamame

Pantry items you will need:

Non-stick cooking spray
Foil or parchment paper
Sugar
Salt
Pepper
Whole pepper corns
Dried bay leaves
Dried thyme
Dried sage
Cornmeal

Enjoy the spring weather! Thanks again for all of your support and viewership!

No comments:

Post a Comment