Sunday, November 25, 2012

Tis the Week of Left-Over Turkey

I was so thankful my mother and husband put together a Thanksgiving meal. While I was giving directions from my arm chair propped up with a heating pad and pillows, my mom and the Bear put together the brine the evening before. We prepared the brine with about 10 cups water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar, one roughly chopped onion, and a small bag of cheesecloth tied and filled with sage, 2 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon pepper corns, and 1 tablespoon dried thyme. Because we did not have a vessel large enough to hold the turkey and liquid, we used one of our large coolers and ice to keep the turkey soaking and fabulous for 24 hours. Then bright and early Thursday morning, the Bear started the smoker. We removed the turkey from the briny bath and rubbed him down with a mixture of olive oil, 1/4 cup paprika, 1 teaspoon onion powder, salt and pepper, tied up the wings and legs, and placed him on the smoker for 6 hours. When the temperature began to stall, we removed the turkey from the smoker, placed him in a large roasting pan and finished him in the oven until our meat thermometer read the safe temp of 165 degrees. I was dozing in and out of my hydrocodone induced world and was disappointed we did not get a picture. The bird, I named him Sven, was a true smoked beauty. Now, what are we going to do with Sven's leftovers?

While I am not really a huge fan of leftover roasted turkey, I feel that there is a ton you can do with a smoked bird. Roasted turkey just tastes a little too gamy for my taste buds when it is not fresh from the oven. Smoked turkey though, well let me see you can make awesome salads, sandwiches, eat it cold, eat it hot with a ton of BBQ sauce, make many flavorful soups, risotto, and enchiladas. I plan on making the previous three said items this week. Unfortunately, I do not have a grocery list for you all this week. But, I do have a menu post of a variety of leftover recipes for your copious amounts of leftover Sven. Even if your Sven was not smoked, he should taste pretty darn good in these recipes. Yes, Sven will live on throughout the week!

Sunday 11/25          Lean and Mean Smoked Turkey Chili with veggie sticks and dip

Monday 11/26         Leftover chili

Tuesday 11/27        BBQ Smoked Turkey Enchiladas with Cilantro Lime Slaw

Wednesday 11/28   Leftover enchiladas

Thursday 11/29       Smoked Turkey & Mushroom Risotto with Winter Salad

Friday 11/30 or       Spiced Citrus Glazed Salmon with French Potato Salad
Saturday 12/1

I hope you all have a fabulous week! My goal is to not push things to hard, but enjoy being back on my feet again:)

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment